List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Completion (Was: Key management)
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () earthlink ! net>
Date:       1999-11-25 11:58:59

On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
>
> > Anyways, IMHO this feature should be configurable.  Auto-completion should be
> > something that anyone who does not want it can turn off.  A configuration
> > module in the Control Panel under Applications IMHO is very much
> > appropriate for minicli now.  In fact there are many things that could be
> > made configurable in minicli.  Things such as  "abbreviated URL" (
> > linuxtoday.com) or enabling non-local URL support for that matter should be
> > configurable to the user's liking.  I can hack this in the weekend if no one
> > objects ...
>
> The style guide currently names two completion mechanisms:
> * auto-completion, as you described
> * manual completion, pressing <END> or <Right> at the end of a line
> triggers completion.
> (http://developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/kde/style/keys/completion.html)

I think you would like what I am going to do then.  The key-bindings will be
configurable as well.  I did this for KLined in kde 1.x, but it was too late
to commit as I did not get any feedback on it.  I was at the time trying to
solve the problem we had in kfm's location bar where the hard coded TAB-key
in KLined was getting in the way of focus management.  So I will extend this
configurablity option to KLined as well as to the new wrapper class around
QComboBox which will add the following configurable options: "manual"
completion, directory rotation ( for ex: type /etc and press CTRL-D in the old
minicli ), popup menu for Cut/Copy/Paste/Clear/Select All ( this is already in
KLined and IMHO much needed feature for mouse addicts) and last but not least
configurable key-bindings for the "manual completion" and "directory rotation"
features.  Hmmm... but I cannot add a new class nor modify kdelibs until
after the freeze.  Wait till after KRASH ?

> We couldn't agree on which one to make default. I very much favour the
> second one, since I think it is intrusive and confusing if your
> computer starts to put stuff in your input box which you didn't asked
> for.
Right.  Exactly my point when I said it should be configurable...

Regards,
Dawit A.