List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: docbook and surroundings
From:       Harri Porten <porten () tu-harburg ! de>
Date:       1999-11-18 10:25:20

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> > > I don't think that it can be viewed directly. You probably have to
> > > convert them first.
> >
> > It's these two conflicting answers (which also seemed implied from the
> > current CVS situation) that intrigued me in the first place. Will there be
> > an automatic converter (cgi?) available for khelpcenter?

Don't know but regular users will be provided with HTML versions anyway.
Developers using CVS will have to install the docbook tools and "make" a
Makefile target to generate them.

> I think he meant that they are supposed to be edited directly, but
> converted before viewing them.

Yes. That's how I understood the process.

The situations is almost the same as with the sgml files. Except that

a) docbook seems to be more powerfull

b) much more in use (e.g. Gnome) and alive

c) no developer will be tempted to accidentally work on the HTML files
instead of the original.

Harri.