List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: slight (internal) change the KOpenWithDlg in KIO
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-11-17 23:53:47

On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 06:45:33PM -0500, pbrown@redhat.com wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, David Faure wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 06:24:17PM -0500, pbrown@redhat.com wrote:
> > > Today, I implemented some code in the filetypes program which will create
> > > a "skeleton" .desktop file for an executable if none was available
> > > previously and the name of a program was typed into the entry field in
> > > KOpenWithDlg.  I propose pushing these changes up into the KOpenWithDlg so
> > > that all programs can make use of this very important and handy feature.
> >
> > Out of curiosity what is the goal of this ? To see the icon in kicker's menus,
> > I suppose ? It might get messy there ... (I suppose they will appear in the
> > personal menu).
>
> Mostly so that if you get the "open with" dialog because a file has an
> unassociated mimetype, you can just type in the name of the program and
> click off a checkbox to have the association "stick" if you want.
Reminds me of a well known operating system :-)   (but, no problem)

> Or, if you have dropped a new (non-kde) app on your system but haven't used it
> yet, and you use the open with dialog, you can just type in the name and
> you're done, the association is available.
Aah. Ok.

> In testing around the Red Hat office, one of the CHIEF complaints about
> KDE was the number of steps it took to create a new program that was
> "kde-aware", or an associated mimetype, coupled with how confusing it was.
> We really need to eliminate such complexity and this helps in almost every
> way.
Yup.

> If you do add a new app, it will show up in your personal menu yes (which
> is getting merged with the regular menus soon according to mosfet)
What's been planned for the toplevel personal ones ?
Some people have a lot of them, me included :-)

> and you can then file it somewhere else with some simple dragging around.
It looks to me like a lot of things need to be merged back from kpanel2 :)
I liked the RMB click on menu items, and dragging might have been there as well.

Excellent.
Keep up the good work !

--
David FAURE