List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RE: More KServiceTypeProfile thoughts (and why gvim gets launched
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () cramersystems ! com>
Date:       1999-11-16 13:35:32

> On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, David Faure wrote:
>
> > > I mean, put '0' on kwrite and '3' on gvim and not the other way
around.
> > > Why? Look at what the samba team does with the prefered browser
servers
> > > on an NT lan :-)
> > Oh, you mean so that with 0 we are sure it's the maximum ?
> > Well if we say valid numbers are between 0 and 10 and put 10 for kwrite,
> > we're sure it will always be the maximum, so I don't see the difference
!??

> Of course. But with this you will always have to fight poeple to
> understand where the max limit stands etc.
:)
> Anyways, this is minor issue. I like practical logic exercises a bit too
much.
:)

> Now a real issue. What happens if a subsequently installed .desktop file
> doubles the same preference number for a mimetype. Use random? Use
> alphabetic order?
Then it would be just like we do now : arbitrary order.
(i.e. dependent on the order in which the files are parsed, but to know
whether
the first one or the last one would be chosen requires some mental power and
much source code reading :) ).

So : is it ok to add a preference number in applications .desktop files ?
Torben is going to kill me when he sees it :-)

--
David Faure
faure@kde.org - KDE developer