List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: IMPORTANT: Qt snapshot users should upgrade to 11/14
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-11-15 15:38:38

> > Not recompiling Qt snapshots every day doesn't mean "trying to avoid
> > all responsibility". If you want to do that: fine. Noone profits
> > from forcing everybody to do it. Here is is simple calculation:
> > Say I have 10 hours a week for working on KDE. Recompiling Qt and
> > kdelibs every day means wasting 7 hours => I have 3 hours to do
> > productive things. If I recompile Qt once in two weeks, I have
> > 9.5 hours per week to do productive things. I think it's not hard to
> > imagine which alternative I prefer.
> >
> Yes. The same applies to me.

While I don't argue that I'd just like to mention that we keep binary
compatibility within the Qt snapshots (at least for all the mature clases used
by KDE). There's no need to recompile the entire KDE when upgrading Qt.

It could also improve things if KDE handled dependencies smarter and not
recompile everything when Qt header files changes timestamp.

Matthias