List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kioslave location
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-11-12 8:32:15

Antonio Larrosa wrote:

> Dirk A. Mueller wrote:
> >
> > On Don, 11 Nov 1999, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> >
> > > I don't see a point in the pop slave beeing in kdebase anyway. All apps
> > > using it are in kdenetwork, why not the slave?
> >
> > ANY app using kio can use pop3. I like to feature to look after my mail in
> > konqueror, although I normally don't have kdenetwork installed.
> >
> > The same applies to the gzip slave: Any program can use it. Ok, currently
> > only konqueror uses it, but this might change in the future.
> >

> IMHO, moving kio_pop3 to kdenetwork is a wrong decision.
>
> Think what would happen if thereīs a programmer who has an application
> (that he releases just on his homepage) that needs pop3. He would had to
> ask all his users to install the whole kdenetwork package !
> For example, letīs say someone does an application that uses pop3 to
> read the userīs mail and display the subject of new mails as kticker
> does display news. This app would need you to install kppp, kmail/empath
> and everything else that is on kdenetwork !
You haven't been in Erlangen it seems. If I wouldn't have shared the
bath room
with you .... :)

You can make EASILY a seperated package of kio_pop3

Greetings, Stephan

> What will we do after this ? Move kio_ldap to the pim module and kio_gz
> to kdeutils ?
Why not? Only because kio_slaves _can_ enhance libkio doesn't mean
everyone
has to be installed. If a slave is strictly limited in his functionlity
(as pop3 to mail) I see no point spreading it to more users than the
ones
that want it (the ones connected to the internet - interested in mail).

Greetings, Stephan

--
As long as Linux remains a religion of freeware fanatics,
Microsoft have nothing to worry about.