List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: This whole "Programs" submenu thing
From:       Mosfet <mosfet () jorsm ! com>
Date:       1999-11-08 11:43:48

Antonio Larrosa wrote:

> Mosfet wrote:
> >
> > Sure, but I also think it doesn't make sense to have hardly anything in
> > it either... Some things that will help with space is I plan on both the
> > personal menu going away, and making the non-KDE apps menu optionally
>
> Are we going back to the idea of colors to differentiate global/local
> entries ? :-)
>
> Now seriously, there's no need to differentiate them if it does
> copy-on-change (otoh, it would need a gradient to support KDEDIRS ;-) )
> And I'm  all in favour of removing the personal menu.

Huh? I don't see why this would be needed at all. There is no need to
visually distinguish personal vs. system wide apps.

> > integrated with the toplevel one (distributors want this). IMHO Screen
> > Savers can be moved under System, and KOffice under Applications. If we
>
> Yes, also the Development menu (created by KDevelop) could be moved to
> Applications, (and make apps like kdb use that instead of Applications).

Yep.

> Would we need a standard menu structure ?
> This way, apps like StarOffice or any suite that offers more than one
> application, should add a submenu to Applications.

I think we do very much.

> > have "Lock Screen" and "Logout" buttons on the panel do we need them in
> > the menu (at least the toplevel one?).
> >

> As Cristian said, yes, we need them, as we want them to be available
> using just the keyboard, which (afaik) can't be used to access those
> buttons in kicker.

Well, okay. I didn't think it would be needed either, it's just better
than castrating the toplevel menu :) Moving around the other items I
discussed previously should be more than enough.

mosfet@mandrakesoft.com
mosfet@kde.org
mosfet@jorsm.com