List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: This whole "Programs" submenu thing
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-11-07 18:07:35

pbrown@redhat.com wrote:
> > Then I would say it's up to the distributors to do that. I makes the
> > default KDE system rather lame IMHO, and more work to use.
>
> Shall we have a little impromptu discussion then?  We've only heard from
> the two of us.  Anyone else care to speak up?

Okay, FWIW, I like the reorganized menu.  It got to be a huge pain to
use the old menu -- especially on my old laptop with it's tiny screen.
The new setup is quick and intuitive.

That said, we can still use more of the top level menu.  For instance,
why don't we allow the user (or distributor) to put 5 (or so) very
common applications on the top of the menu.

Another possibility is to let KDE dynamically decide which apps it
should put on the top.   This would work similar to the recent
documents menu only the last five applications used would go there.
However, we could also put some simple logic in the code that counts
the number of times a particular app is used and give "weight" to it
with it's placement on the menu.

Anyway, just my thoughts.
--
Kurt Granroth            | granroth@kde.org