List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: (fwd) Re: The filedialog, please read
From:       Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih () cetus ! zrz ! TU-Berlin ! DE>
Date:       1999-11-04 19:36:52

On Thu, Nov 04, 1999 at 07:22:04PM +0100, Dirk A. Mueller wrote:

Hi,

> because "it's cool". Let's inherit KFileDialog and change the GUI and
> implement the features we like (bookmarks, configuration, "go to homedir"
> button and all those stuff that QFileDialog misses).

what QFileDialog does not offer:
- Icons according to Mimetype
- automatic directory updates (KDirWatch)
- single click/double click
- NO autocompletion (the autocompletion really sucks, and you can't even
  rotate between matching items)
- it's not extensible (no treeview, a prgrammer can't add custom views
  (correct me if I'm wrong)
- you can't reuse the filebrowser outside the dialog, while _many_
  programs need to have a little filebrowserwidget, be it a treeview,
  simpleview, detailview, or any other
  (this is the most important misfeature, as every programmer will have to
  implement its own browser, and every one will look and act different)
- it doesn't save its state (view, size, ...)
- bookmarks

And that Windows fileselector looks really alien in KDE.

Cheers,
Carsten Pfeiffer
--
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/1632/