List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RE: The filedialog, please read
From:       Reginald Stadlbauer <reggie () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-11-04 16:43:32

On Thu, 04 Nov 1999, Matthias Ettrich wrote:

>> > Why is it nonsense? I just counted the bugs which I found in
>> > KFileDialog in HEAD (as this is the one we a discussing about).
>>
>> Yes and no. It's the one people complain about, but then they say
>> "this file dialog has NEVER worked for me" (yes I'm quoting).
>> Those people forget about the 1.x version, which worked fine.
>> You can't judge KFileDialog based on the HEAD version _only_.
>
>Don't get me wrong. I'm not opposed to the idea of a KDE typical file dialog
>that gives KDE its own identity, not at all.  But with the current state of
>KFileDialog the decision is a  no-brainer. Juding purely from the
>development history of the dialog, I can't even think it can be fixed in a
>reasonable time-frame. It needs a complete rewrite  (the Qt File Dialog was
>rewritten several times during the last month to get the design currently in
>the CVS!). We are talking at least two weeks fultime development here (when
>using highlevel classes like QListView, QIconView, etc.). If someone has this
>time and is willing to invest it, great. It's a lot of work, though, only that
>some fanatic Windows-haters stop saying "KDE's file dialog looks like Windows".
>I'm confident that these people will find something else to complain,
>though ;-)

And as I already said, if we want to make a KFileDialog derived from
QFileDialog, IŽll invest some hours in QFileDialog to make the GUI
customizeable and offer a public API for implementing own views (as this stuff
is already in QFileDialog, just hidden behind a private API)

So we can then make it looking different than windows :-)

--
Reggie