List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KServiceTypeProfile broken?
From:       pbrown () redhat ! com
Date:       1999-11-03 20:34:03

On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, David Faure wrote:

> So filetypes uses profilerc ?
> How can it talk about a preferred service then ?
> (I refer to my comment on kde-cvs)
>
> Unfortunately I have no idea about your problem,
> since I don't know much of kuserprofile. Torben wrote it
> and Simon hacked into it.
>
> Hmm... I implemented preferredService though. It returns
> the first one of what ::offers() returns, since that
> was the code I found in KRun.
> (The sorting is done this way. See KServiceOffer::operator< )
>
> Can you print the list returned by ::offers() ? This might help.

OK this isn't making any sense.  There is too much overlap going on here.

We need ONE place to determine what the mime types (file types, service
types, whatever the hell we want to call them) are on the system.  As well
as their associated attributes.

If the correct place to determine the "preferred" service for a mimetype
is not via KServiceTypeProfile::preferredService, then where is it?  This
method should do the looksup in profilerc for me, _if_ we are going to be
using that.  I think that too many people here are thinking from the
_programmer's model_, which is where you implement something _as it
actually exists on the system_, and not as it might be intuitively viewed
by a user.  The distinction between the offers() list and what is in
profilerc is _completely implementation dependent_.  The user doesn't give
a shit where the preferences are stored, they just want to be able to set
them all in one, concise, easy location.

Yes, offers() returns three things:  XMMS, X11 Amp, and mpg123.  XMMS is
first.  But profilerc clearly says that X11 Amp is preferred.  So this is
what preferredService should return.

Does everybody think I am on crack about this or something?

---
  Preston Brown                                    Systems Engineer
  pbrown@redhat.com                                Red Hat, Inc.