List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    KEdit [Re: KRASH release: kdelibs feature frozen]
From:       Espen Sand <espen.sand () neo ! no>
Date:       1999-11-02 13:32:35

On tir, 02 nov 1999, Don Sanders wrote:
>Espen Sand wrote:
>> On tir, 02 nov 1999, Don Sanders wrote:
>> >
>> >Once we have agreed to use a newer snapshot of QT I would like to commit my
>> >changes to kedit, as previously discussed. This isn't so much a new
>> >feature as it is an api change (the word wrapping is done in QMulitLineEdit now
>> >rather than KEdit).
>> >

>> Will any of your modifications (i.e., improvements ;-) change the dialog boxes
>> in the Option menu? I am close to complete a new dialog box that will contain
>> all the previous boxes + color setting (it is quite similar to the one used in
>> head-khexedit).
>
>One small change to the KEdit Options dialog, it's good to discuss it. In its
>current state clicking on the the word wrap check box will enable the set
>fill-column check box (if it is disabled). Apparently it was ok to have set
>fill-column set without word wrap but not to to have word wrap without
>fill-column set.
>
>I swapped this around. Now if set fill-column is checked word wrap is enabled.
>This is because once I commit, the fill-column column means the column used for
>word wrapping, and nothing more.
>
>However word wrap will be allowed to be enabled without enabling setting the
>fill-column, this means dynamic word wrap will be used, that is wrapping to the
>width of the text editor (dynamically updating as the window is resized).
>
>Currently the fill-column can be set without enabling word-wrap**, I don't know
>what this is useful for, if I commit my changes it will no longer do anything.

OK, I will not commit anything before the new version is available. Then I will
just duplicate the modified behavior into the new dialog box. This should be
pretty simple.

>The other lost feature will be "auto indent", if auto indent is to be supported
>support for it must be added in qmultilineedit. I have mixed feelings about
>functionality being taken out of kdelibs and put into qt, but the new word wrap
>is much better than the old "automatic linebreaking". I really do want
>undo/redo support I'm prepared to (try to) implement this myself, but this will
>require modifying qmultilineedit (at some point in the future).

Undo/Redo is the most important missing feature. The method used in
kwrite is pretty simple to understand / duplicate. I examined that before
I implemented it in khexedit.

--
Espen Sand