List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KRASH release: kdelibs feature frozen
From:       Don Sanders <dsanders () cch ! com ! au>
Date:       1999-11-02 12:44:00

Espen Sand wrote:
> On tir, 02 nov 1999, Don Sanders wrote:
> >
> >Once we have agreed to use a newer snapshot of QT I would like to commit my
> >changes to kedit, as previously discussed. This isn't so much a new
> >feature as it is an api change (the word wrapping is done in QMulitLineEdit now
> >rather than KEdit).
> >

> Will any of your modifications (i.e., improvements ;-) change the dialog boxes
> in the Option menu? I am close to complete a new dialog box that will contain
> all the previous boxes + color setting (it is quite similar to the one used in
> head-khexedit).

One small change to the KEdit Options dialog, it's good to discuss it. In its
current state clicking on the the word wrap check box will enable the set
fill-column check box (if it is disabled). Apparently it was ok to have set
fill-column set without word wrap but not to to have word wrap without
fill-column set.

I swapped this around. Now if set fill-column is checked word wrap is enabled.
This is because once I commit, the fill-column column means the column used for
word wrapping, and nothing more.

However word wrap will be allowed to be enabled without enabling setting the
fill-column, this means dynamic word wrap will be used, that is wrapping to the
width of the text editor (dynamically updating as the window is resized).

Currently the fill-column can be set without enabling word-wrap**, I don't know
what this is useful for, if I commit my changes it will no longer do anything.

The other lost feature will be "auto indent", if auto indent is to be supported
support for it must be added in qmultilineedit. I have mixed feelings about
functionality being taken out of kdelibs and put into qt, but the new word wrap
is much better than the old "automatic linebreaking". I really do want
undo/redo support I'm prepared to (try to) implement this myself, but this will
require modifying qmultilineedit (at some point in the future).

The final thing to note is that the changes to kedit (removing the word-wrapping
code as now qmultilineedit supports it) in kdelibs won't actually effect the
kedit application. This is because unfortunately the kedit application doesn't
use kedit in kdelibs, the code is duplicated. (Something that should be fixed
really). The changes need to be made in both places.

** Well after I commit this will still be true, but after I commit clicking
on the set fill column checkbox enables the word wrap checkbox. You can always
uncheck the word wrap check box, though the user gets the impression this isn't
worth doing.

Really it would be easier if I just sent you the code rather than getting into
this level of detail. I mean I'm talking about the effects of changing a couple
lines of code here.

BFN,
Don.