List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KPresenter
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () suse ! de>
Date:       1999-11-01 17:11:35

On Mon, 01 Nov 1999, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 01 Nov 1999, weis wrote:
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >since cooloes last No-RTTI attack KPresenter does not compile
> > >any more. "Make clean" did not help. Somewhere are still
> > >RTTI things created and that causes linking to break :-(
> >
> > KPresenter uses dynamic_casts. SO does it mean I have to switch all back to
> > C-casts now (would be lots of work :-(( )
> >
> Well, I just enabled RTTI again in kdelibs. I guess, we have to
> enable it in parts of koffice too (where needed: the libs, kpresenter,
> kword). I didn't have time today to fix that, as I was busy with
> kde-i18n and that.

I don't think we gain that much by disabling RTTI. According to
objdump, the difference in kdecore is less than 50Kb of shared segments
and about 2K of non-shared segments.

This is very much different from the situation with exception handling
which increases the non-shared segments with more than 150Kb.

As the name suggests, shared segments are loaded only once on a system,
while non-shared segments are loaded for each process again.

My proposal would be to leave rtti enabled everywhere.

Cheers,
Waldo