List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: QTextView issues
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-10-31 14:44:31

On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, Matt Koss wrote:
> I have completely reworked logging for caitoo and now I use QTextView to
> display different colors in log.
>
> QTextView is a very nice widget, however I have to do one thing to make it
> usable.
> Caitoo log widget inherits QTabDialog, and both tabs contain QTextView.
> When I switched tabs, appended text to the other tab, the switched back,
> QTextView didn't redisplay correctly, but simply showed nothing.
> Only the next appending to QTextView in the displayed tab caused QTextView to
> repaint everything correctly.

Interesting constallation. Indeed a bug in QTextView. Thanks a lot, I'll fix it.

QTextView will be re-worked quite a fair bit in 2.1. (It will be much faster
and even support tables, for example).

> I don't know whether I am doing something wrong, or it is a bug, but I had
> to add another slot to LogWindow widget , which simply calls setText( text() )
> each time I switch tabs.
>
> Some things that I miss, are append() method, like in QMultiLineEdit(), using
> setText( text() + string ) is ok, but not so convenient.

And slower than necessary. I see what I can do, maybe I can add append().

> Another thing that I need is to get a context of QTextView in non-richtext
> form, I mean as a plain text ( with tag information removed ).
> Is it possible, or it needs to be implemented ?

Not yet, I'm afraid. Removing the xml tags, however, shouldn't be much of a
problem.

Matthias