List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: minicli and dead keys
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () earthlink ! net>
Date:       1999-10-30 15:34:12

On Sat, 30 Oct 1999, Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when commenting out
>
>   if (XGrabKeyboard(qt_xdisplay(), runCombo->winId(),True,GrabModeAsync,
>                     GrabModeAsync,CurrentTime) != GrabSuccess)
>       return False;
>
> from minicli.C, dead keys (@, ~, ...) work! Do we really need to grab the
> keyboard here? At least on my system, everything works perfectly without
> grabbing.
>
> I coulnd't figure out, why we're not getting any dead keys when grabbed -
> sorry, I'm no Xlib hacker.

From what I have read on XSetInputFocus and XGrabKeyboard in the Xlib manual, I
do not see why XGrabKeyboard is needed either.  I say this because according
to the Xlib manual, if a valid focus window is passed to XSetInputFocus, it
does exactly what XGrabKeyboard does with its owner_events flag set to True in
terms of keyboard events.  Which is exactly what is done in the XGrabKeyboard
check above.  So to me the XGrabKeyboard looks like a reduandant call.  However,
since I am not well versed in Xlib programming, I cannot tell why it was done
this way in the first place.  There must be some reason for it as I do not
think it is there by mistake, but then again ....

Regards,
Dawit A.