List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kurl and kprotocolmanager
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () earthlink ! net>
Date:       1999-10-27 15:50:48

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We were just chatting on irc about KURL and KProtocolManager, as teddy
> (the author of Magellan) had problems with it, as he internally uses urls
> like magellan_mail://foo , which he passes to khtml.
>
> The problem is: KURL accepts (read: sets m_bMalformed to false) *only* if
> KProtocolManager knows about the protocol of the given URL, which
> practically means that there has to be a KIOSlave for it.
>
> While this behaviour might make sense in some situations it is in somehow
> not really logical IMHO, as theoretically foo://bla.com/bar is a valid
> URL, isn't it? So KURL will only stop rejecting it if there's a kioslave
> for it..
>
> hmm...
>
> Torben said that there was some magic/important reason for this "binding"
> to KProtocolManager, however he couldn't remember. :-)
>
> So I wonder: Does anyone remember the reason for this binding? Or can we
> safely remove it? (probably resulting in some slight fixes in libkio?)

Yes.  Just get rid of everything in the

   else if (!KProtocolManager::self().isKnownProtocol( m_strProtocol ) )

under NodeOk. IMHO and as David also mentioned KURL has no business
determining whether we support a particular protocol or not.  That is kio's job.
It should only check for conformity of the URL to the specs ....

BTW, I am going to propose some changes to KURL soon.  I have rewritten some
parts of it so that it complies with RFC 2396 and support unicode characters
among other things ...

Regards,
Dawit A.