List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RE: Large icons (was RE: kicker)
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () CRAMER ! CO ! UK>
Date:       1999-10-25 15:17:10

> David Faure wrote:
> >
> > > BTW, I never really looked at 1.1.2 (I was already on the CVS ;-), so
> > > what is the process of loading large icons vs normal ones, or is that
> > > not done for KDE2 yet?
> > >
> > KDE 1.1.2 and HEAD have the same code for that : an ugly hack
> > of mine in kcionloader. Ugly because it had to preserve binary
> > compability in 1.x
> > It should be completely rethought for HEAD.
> >
> > Currently users can set large vs normal for
> > * kpanel
> > * kfm [not even renamed to konqueror in kiconloader]
> > * all other apps
> >
> > Let's try to think about how to do it right.
> > Should the apps read themselves that configuration and pass the
> > result to KIconLoader when creating it ?  - difficult with
> > the way we use KIconLoader (which gets created implicitely).
> > Or should KIconLoader take care of this for the apps (it what
> > it does currently, but the hack comes when identifying which app
> > it's in)...
>
> Well, doing it transparently through KIconLoader is convenient, but I
> need to be able to manually load normal vs. large icons. You know more
> about that code then I do so can make a better choice, all I know is I
> need to be able to manually load all three sizes based on the size of
> kicker.

I forgot to say that in 1.x there is also a special case for kpanel :
when changing kpanel's size ("mode"), it changes accordingly the
icon setting, and vice versa, (according to Torsten's request), so it's
still transparent for kpanel.

Do you want the same with kicker (easy, s/kpanel/kicker/ in kiconloader !)
or do we want to let the apps specify their icon size by themselves ?

If the latter, it might be a simple case of adding a "large" resource to
kstddirs,
that includes the normal paths as a fallback... And then apps can
set "large" or "icon" when using kiconloader...

The point is that ... currently everything about large icons is configured
in
the "style" tab (of kcmdisplay iirc), whereas if we go for more per-app
setting, it won't be the case anymore... ok, a global KDE setting
in kcmdisplay and then a per-app setting makes sense as well
(i.e. mixing the two approachs : obeying to a global setting in the
iconloader if the app doesn't specify anything...)

And then there's the issue of other icon sets, and then of the theme
manager and the themes, ... I really don't know enough about the whole
story to decide on this.

--
David Faure
faure@kde.org - KDE developer