List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: sycoca praise + request to a makefile wizard...
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-10-25 8:28:05

David Faure wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 24, 1999 at 11:02:52AM -0500, Lotzi Boloni wrote:
> >   I have a request for some of our makefile wizards: for canossa
> > applications, there is no way to find if there are some linking problems.
> >
> >   Let's say, you have an undefined function or even worse, static
> > variable. Everything compiles fine, but at the runtime it fails with a
> > cryptic message.
> >
> >   For example, for a missing global var, kchart gave me the error message:
> >
> >   KLibGlobal: cannot load /opt/kde/lib/libkchart.la
> >
> >   Which was there, by the way.
> >
> >   What I have do was to write a fake main and make a static link by hand,
> > such that I could get the linker error messages.
> >
> >   Now the request would be, if somebody who knows more about this, could
> > make an additional target for canossa applications, let's say, linktest,
> > such that
> >
> >    make linktest
> >
> >   would not give any usefull output but will do a static link attempt,
> > such that these errors become visible. It would really help with the
> > development process.
>
> Very good idea. I just needed the same, btw :)
>
> Here is the solution :
>
> check_PROGRAMS = linktest
> linktest_SOURCES = $(konqueror_SOURCES)
> linktest_LDADD = libkonqueror.la $(lib_LTLIBRARIES)
>
> Just replace konqueror with your appname and be done :)
>
> make check or make linktest will do what you want.

Hmm, this seems weired. lib_LTLIBRARIES should contain libkonqueror.la
while konqueror_SOURCES compile to libkonqueror.la. So it seems doubled.
I guess what you really want is am_edit support for make libcheck ;-)

Greetings, Stephan

--
Everyone makes mistakes -- but we are more experienced at it
                                      anonymous KDE developer