List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RE: KDE Annoyances (fwd)
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () CRAMER ! CO ! UK>
Date:       1999-10-22 13:05:15

> On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> > Then there's the lack of consistency in color-settings and other
preferences.
> > I have set the work-area background color to an off-white on my machine
> > because pure white is irritating to me. A toned-down, yellowish
off-white
> > with slightly  bluish-black text is much more comfortable and readable,
at
> > least to me. Yet here I am, writing this message in the KDE mail client,
and
> > the background is white. (Note: The To, Cc, and Subject text-fields show
the
> > proper color.) Was it so inconcievable to the designers that someone
might
> > not like white backgrounds?
>
> I have this fixed here, I have yet to commit the changes. The
> non-obvious problem with KMail and using the default colours
> is that in the reader window (where email is displayed) links
> are shown. They are red when they haven't been clicked on and
> blue if they have.
>
> Now if someone changes there background color to blue (like
> mine is right now) they will no long be able to see visited
> links. (Partly) for this reason I have changed the
> settings/appearance tab so that a user can either choose to
> use the default colors (as in those specified for kde in
> general using color schemes) or ignore those colors and
> choose their own colors for backgournd/foreground/new
> link/visited link.
>
> Fonts now work in a similar way.
>
> I don't know how konqueror handles this (it has suddenly
> refused to start up).
What does it say ? "run kded" ?

> I guess the best way to handle it would
> be to extend the color schemes to allow user specification of
> new and visited link colors.

I have always been wondering :

Do we want the color configuration to be global - only ONE consistent
setting
for link color, visited link color, background and text, for all apps,
or do we want to configure it differently in every app.

For instance, kfm used to have the same config for the HTML view and the
icon view (which was rendered in HTML), and some people didn't like that.
ok, konqueror doesn't have this problem with the icon view, but the question
remains for the HTML view : should it be possible to configure it with
different
colors from kmail, etc...

OK, as usual the answer is : the more configurable the better, so the
way you did it in kmail looks very good to me : allow to use default KDE
settings but also allow to override them. The problem is that it's silly
IMHO to
require every app using the HTML widget to create a dialog box for it.

===> What about :

a kcontrol page for the HTML settings, that would handle global KDE
configuration
when called normally, but also application specific settings when called
from an application
(and in this case show the 'use default KDE settings' dialog box) ?
The kcontrol page could be even shipped with libkhtml.

Any libkhtml based application could use the page inside one of its kcontrol
dialog (be it separate like kcmkonq or inside the app like kmail's).

--
David Faure
faure@kde.org - KDE developer