List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Recent document menu and KFileDialog
From:       Antonio Larrosa <antlarr () arrakis ! es>
Date:       1999-10-20 15:31:09

Mosfet wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> I used a Windows box a few days ago (it's been a long time ;-) and
> noticed they have a little menu of recently opened documents in their
> Start menu. I like this feature. It would be relatively easy to add to
> KFileDialog a routine that writes the URLs of opened files to a
> directory (with a maximum amount of entries of course). Then
> applications like kicker can show those URL .desktop files and launch
> the associated mimetype handler when clicked. Rather useful I think.

What if you open a file without using KFileDialog (e.g. using DnD ) ?

There should be a way to add a file from the application itself
(not just automatically from KFileDialog). I think each application
has a method to open a file (no matter if it was taken from the file
dialog, DnD or from the command line), so it may be better to leave
the responsability to call a function that saves that .desktop file
to the developers. Altought it would be better to force him.
What about adding (yet) another method to KApplication called
openDocument(const QString &url,const QString &title=0) that saves
the .desktop file for kicker, changes the caption text and automates
any future idea we have for opened files ?
I suppose that if you save a document you would also like to have
it on the kicker menu, so we need another method to create the
kicker file when saving the document (if it wasn't already created)

Greetings,

--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez
antlarr@arrakis.es        larrosa@kde.org