Hi, On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Stephan Kulow wrote: > pbrown@redhat.com wrote: > > > > Here's a point I've been meaning to throw out for awhile. > > > > I know we all hate the concept of a binary registry / database being the > > permanent on-disk store for configuration information. But the current > > concept of using flat text files has one fundamental problem -- upgrades. > > Yup, that's right, upgrading to a newer version of a piece of software is > > a major pain in the ass, because if the software comes with a new config > > file, you have one of two choices: > > > > 1. replace the existing configuration file. > > 2. rename the new config file, and leave it up to the user/administrator > > to replace the existing config file. > > > > What are we really lacking here? MERGING technology. It is simply too > > difficult to merge two different ascii configuration files. Even if all > > you want to do is add "new" entries, and not change existing ones, it's a > > pain in the ass, and currently unfeasible. > > > > Does anyone have any suggestions in this area? This is going to just > > become a larger problem as time goes by. A database approach solves many > > of the issues, but we have passed on that. > > > I can't see how a binary registry helps here. In any way you would have > to register what the user wrote and what the application wrote. But our > mechanism with global and local entries should be fine enough. As long > as the user file only writes changes, replacing the global file should > be all that's needed for an update. But changes of the sysadmin are lost .... bye torben > Greetings, Stephan > > -- > As long as Linux remains a religion of freeware fanatics, > Microsoft have nothing to worry about. > By Michael Surkan, PC Week Online > >