List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Regarding software upgrades / config files / KSycoca
From:       pbrown () redhat ! com
Date:       1999-10-19 22:14:09

Here's a point I've been meaning to throw out for awhile.

I know we all hate the concept of a binary registry / database being the
permanent on-disk store for configuration information.  But the current
concept of using flat text files has one fundamental problem -- upgrades.
Yup, that's right, upgrading to a newer version of a piece of software is
a major pain in the ass, because if the software comes with a new config
file, you have one of two choices:

1. replace the existing configuration file.
2. rename the new config file, and leave it up to the user/administrator
   to replace the existing config file.

What are we really lacking here?  MERGING technology.  It is simply too
difficult to merge two different ascii configuration files.  Even if all
you want to do is add "new" entries, and not change existing ones, it's a
pain in the ass, and currently unfeasible.

Does anyone have any suggestions in this area?  This is going to just
become a larger problem as time goes by.  A database approach solves many
of the issues, but we have passed on that.

---
  Preston Brown                                    Systems Engineer
  pbrown@redhat.com                                Red Hat, Inc.