List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Memory Usage in KDE (LONG)
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1999-10-18 11:04:14

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Lars Knoll wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > [lots of interesting statistics about memory usage of exceptions deleted]
> >
> > > * The overhead of exception handling is huge.
> > > * Qt and KDE should be compiled without support for exception handling.
> > > * The use of exceptions is depreciated.
> > > * Applications or libraries which need exception handling should enable
> > > it for themselves and make sure not to throw any exceptions to code
> > > which does not support it, including Qt. (Take expecially care of
> > > signals/slots and virtual functions)
> >
> > These numbers are really interesting. I agree with you, that the memory
> > usage is huge. However, I don't like disabling exception handling in the
> > libs for one reason. People _will_ write software using exceptions and qt,
> > if we want them to or not. If we disable exception handling in the
> > libraries, they will run into trouble, because of Qt's signals/slots. With
> > them it is easily possible, that the programmer throws an exception in a
> > function called from the signal in the library.
>
> Question: Who will catch this exception?

Even if the libraries have exceptins enabled, the programmer is screwed.
After all, exceptions go back on the calling chain, right?

If the exception happens on a slot, then it will go through Qt and
probably pop up on the emit() or worse: in the qApp->exec() call in the
main()!

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
Not mad, but bound more than a madman is (Romeo and Juliet, Act I Scene II)