List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Toolkits and IDL
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1999-10-12 13:09:26

Hello,

One of the points I've seen explained in this whole Canossa/KOM/OP/CuteIDL
thing (I still don't get it all ;-) is that if you wanted to provide the
possibility to write a component that didn't use Qt, it was before kinda
possible (if you reimplemented OP using Gtk) and that it is now still
possible (if you reimplement Canossa?).

Now, I can see why reimplementing the Qt app through IDL (OP) was a pain.

But, I think there is a small solution:

Implementing a small generic GUI toolkit through a IDL interface.

For example, suppose someone (I am 80% done ;-) implemented GraphApp over
Qt http://www.cs.su.oz.au/~loki/graphapp/

Its a very small toolkit. It evolves slowly. It should not be terribly
hard to expose over IDL.

So, would it make sense to do so? Comments?

PS: I am going to finish implementing GraphApp/Qt (and GraphApp/KDE)
anyway just to provide a reasonable C binding for KDE, so this argument is
orthogonal to that.

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
Not mad, but bound more than a madman is (Romeo and Juliet, Act I Scene II)