Hi, On Sat, 9 Oct 1999, Dawit Alemayehu wrote: > On Sat, 9 Oct 1999, weis wrote : > > Hi, > > > while I consider it very useful to fix the shortcomings of > > the current KURL, I would strongly suggest NOT to use > > QRegExp! It is not very efficient! > > > > The current KURL and QUrl use state machines since they > > are much more efficient than this QRegExp. > > > > In KDE and especially konqueror URLs are parsed in masses, so > > parsing URLs is a time critical thing. > > Thanks for the feedback. My next step would have been to do some > benchmark since I basically had the same concerns. I did see the use of the > state machines in KURL. > > Perhaps I should have done that first before posting. A question though. > Should all use of QRegExp be avoided ? I ask this because while converting the > basic checks to a simple while loop is very trivial, the validation is not. As > an example, look at the test for on the hostname which can only consist of > alphanumeric & "-" values and they have to conform to a certain pattern. > > While we are on the performance topic, I saw a prevallant use of Qchar in the > original code. Was this done for performance purposes as well ? Is invoking > > QString mid ( uint index, uint len=0xffffffff ) const > > more expensive than creating new Qstring object out of > > QString ( const QChar * unicode, uint length ) ? That should be the same. > > [OFF TOPIC :] Would there be a possibility of having a Quri/Qurl class future > versions of QT ? > Look at QUrl in the recent Qt CVS. But they dont handle nested URLs like tar:/path/file#file:/home/weis/x.tgz Bye Torben > Regards, > Dawit A. > >