List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: -frepo
From:       Steffen Hansen <stefh () mip ! sdu ! dk>
Date:       1999-10-09 16:31:47

On Sat, 9 Oct 1999, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:

> Just trying to get KDE to work with gcc 2.95.1's -frepo (should be quite
> an improvement).
>
> Unfortunately, the error messages for some parts are a bit cryptic - this
> happens in libodbc++ (kdesupport):
>
> ../src/.libs/libodbc++.so: undefined reference to
> `_Rb_tree<odbc::Statement *, odbc::Statement *, _Identity<odbc::Statement
> *>, less<odbc::Statement *>, allocator<odbc::Statement *>
> >::find(odbc::Statement *const &) const'

If you want to make shared libs with -frepo, you have to link your object
files as a "normal" program first. During this process, the linker will
figure out which templates need instantiation, and arrange for some files
to be recompiled. Then you can link the new object files as a shared lib.

I really hope we get better support for templates in gcc-3.0...

greetings,
--
Steffen Hansen
email: hansen@dexel.dk, hansen@kde.org

"The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy
way to factor large prime numbers."
	Bill Gates, The Road Ahead, Viking Penguin (1995)