List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Filters, again >:)
From:       Werner Trobin <wtrobin () carinthia ! com>
Date:       1999-10-09 11:39:11

Hi!

I know that I'm very tiresome (please flame me directly (I'm wearing my
asbestos long johns) and keep this kind of mails away from the list),
but I still want to talk about filters...

Now that we are on our way towards canossa (wow! what a inside joke :)
I wanted to start another filter discussion, so let's see what we've
got (I hope I still understand it):

We've "lost" CORBA (and therefore the network transparency). Due to
that we don't have to pass the whole file to the filter as the filter
process has to run on the same machine anyway. There is a nice solution
IMHO:
- Import filters: Transfer the filename to the filter (the filter opens
                  the file). The filter creates e.g. a KoTarStore
                  object and returns it to the app.
- Export filters: Transfer the filename and the KoTarStore object to the
                  filter. After the file is converted the filter writes
                  it to the disk.

As I didn't read all the mails (and I've never seen canossa, yet) I don't
know if this is possible or if you already decided to go for another option.

Werner