List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Transparency -- take 2
From:       Geert Jansen <g.t.jansen () stud ! tue ! nl>
Date:       1999-10-04 8:02:03

Antonio Larrosa wrote:

> With RootPixmap, you just have to take care to call setBackgroundPixmap
> again when you resize the widget, move it, or change desktop (and also,I
> suppose kdesktop should emit a signal telling when it has changed the
> desktop background, and send signals each few seconds when using
> something like xearth). In the future RootPixmap will (if I or someone
> else find the time :-) ) automatically set an event handler for those
> events and set the transparent backgrounds as necessary without the
> developer having to call it specifically.

Yes, that's a good idea. A was planning on doing it almost the same, only
the event filter is in kapp::x11EventFilter() and Qt signals are used:

kdesktop sends an ClientMessage of some predifened type to all KDE apps
when the desktop background changes or the uses switches desktops.
kapp::x11EventFilter catches this and emits a Qt signal, to which
RootPixamp is connected. RootPixmap has kept a pointer to the widget and
will update it's background. This is the same way as the style-change and
font-change mechanisms work.

> If it works so well, you should put it on the libs I think, I'll have
> a look then. If you don't think so, just send it to me (if it isn't too
> big)

Yes, I think KSharedPixmap belongs in (probably) kdeui. But because
we're at the bottom of a very specific email thread, I don't think many
people are reading this :-) I'll get back to it on the list.

Greetings,
--
    Geert Jansen                       email: <g.t.jansen at stud.tue.nl>
    Phylosopher, Physicist                        PGP key ID: 0xD2B5E7CE