List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal: package split
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () total ! net>
Date:       1999-10-03 19:59:12

Hi

I personally *strongly* support Harri's idea and I was intending to make
this discussed at KDE-TWO if I was able to go (along with other
organizational issues).

I believe making choices between currently CVS-ed apps with similar
functionality is a particularly wrong solution.

First of all, KDE should become *much* smaller in the future (in what
concerns main downloading action). KDELibs and KDEBase (carefully
reorganized) should come in a very easy-to-install form and then an
organizing application should be offered which will help the user to
install all supplementary packages he needs from an easy to use interface,
with connections to both local and remote filesystems.

That will mean no utils, no network apps in the first turn. The user will
then be able to tune his KDE environment easily.

The strongest argument in favor of Harri's proposal is kppp, which in
30-40% of the installments of KDE (ethernet machimes) isn't needed at all
(but still is currently installed).

The strongest arguments against your proposal are the kbiff/korn and the
kedit/kwrite examples. These pairs of apps are offering generally similar
functions but fundamentally different functionalities. Who are we to shove
down the people our subjective choice in these cases. If korn is dropped
from kdenetwork I and many others will be very upset. If kbiff is dropped,
Kurt and many more will be very upset. And this is right on behalf of both
groups.

My too many cents...

Cristian