List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    nntp ioslave (Was under Re: A new framework for embedding ... without CORBA)
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () earthlink ! net>
Date:       1999-10-03 16:45:38

On Sun, 03 Oct 1999, Graham TerMarsch wrote:
> Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
> [.....snip.....]

> > > [.....snip.....]

> > > You rock.  I'd known that this sort of stuff was "possible", but wasn't sure
> > > if it'd be acceptable to put any of it in there.  Perhaps I'll run along here
> > > and build something up that I can let others have a gander at and we'll see
> > > how it comes together from there.
> >
> > I do not mind taking a look at once you have something.  I have a question
> > though.  Are you going to support both USENET url formats as specified by
> > RFC 1738, "nntp" and "news" ?
>
> I might as well; if I'm going to end up doing something here then it might as
> well support them both as I could picture ending up using either one.  For the
> most part, though, my first glance through the RFCs left me with the
> impression that 'nntp' and 'news' were primarily synonymous with each other;
> do correct me if there was something more obvious that I missed.  I'll check
> again, but at this point don't forsee big issues in supporting both.

You are right.  There should be no problem in supporting both of these
protocols.  RFC 1738 encourages the use of "news:" URL for the following
reason :

"Note that while nntp: URLs specify a unique location for the article
 resource, most NNTP servers currently on the Internet today are
 configured only to allow access from local clients, and thus nntp
 URLs do not designate globally accessible resources. Thus, the news:
 form of URL is preferred as a way of identifying news articles."

In your previous postings you mentioned a few USENET commands (XHDR) I did not
recognize.  The only ones I am familiar with are the ones in RFC 977

ARTICLE, BODY, GROUP, HEAD, HELP, IHAVE,
LAST, LIST, NEWGROUPS, NEWNEWS, NEXT
POST, QUIT, SLAVE, STAT

Is there another RFC ?

Also like Kurt's idea of extending the the nntp URL with a query
(?command=value ) component to send the un-mapable commands
to the ioslave.  For example,

nntp://user:pass@host:port/news/path/msg?command=ARTICLE&msgid=1  OR
nntp://user:pass@host:port/news/path/msg?command=ARTICLE&msgno=1

Are there any commands that can not expressed by entry=value pairs ?

Regards,
Dawit A.