List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: A new framework for embedding ... without CORBA
From:       Graham TerMarsch <gtermars () home ! com>
Date:       1999-10-01 17:54:26

Kurt Granroth wrote:
> Graham TerMarsch wrote:
> > I know that kioslaves handle most of this currently as a separate
> > sub-process, but would prefer to have threads available for those
> > things that don't currently have kioslaves written (e.g. nntp).
>
> The Right Way is to implement nntp in a kioslave instead of
> restricting it to just your app! :-)
>
> For what it's worth, I'll be doing a nntp slave in the next coming
> months if nobody beats me to it...

Nice little hint there Kurt.  :)

I'd looked at what'd really be involved in doing one, and didn't think that
it'd be too hard to do.  However, I did have question as to how NNTP URLs
would be represented, considering that NNTP itself has several other
extensions (e.g. 'xpat') that don't really map across into any sort of URL.
Other things such as "how do I just pull down the _headers_ for a single msg,
without the msg body" also left me as a bit puzzled as to how they'd map
properly.  I've read through the RFCs outlining NNTP URLs and for all that
they at least define how to get all of the subjects for a given group and a
message within the group, I didn't find anything else in there that'd be
useful for helping solve those issues.

If someone out there has ideas on how these sorts of things could be mapped,
or that could point me in the direction of another kioslave that'd be a good
example to start with, I'd be willing to sit down and see what I can come up
with to create one for NNTP.

--
Graham TerMarsch

// We are the people our parents warned us about.