List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: A new framework for embedding ... without CORBA
From:       "Dirk A. Mueller" <dmuell () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-09-30 22:40:18

weis <weis@stud.uni-frankfurt.de> wrote:

>> Do any blocking IO and you're dead. ;-)
> Then do non blocking IO :-)

Under bad circumstances, even read(fd, buf) is blocking you long enough
to miss the screen update ( I remember my old cdrom that needed 4-5
seconds to spin-up after a long sleep period).

when you're starting to even do the readdir() or every other second
system call async by forking, it's time to think about threads ;)

--
Dirk A. Mueller