List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: A new framework for embedding ... without CORBA
From:       Espen Sand <espensa () online ! no>
Date:       1999-09-30 19:45:47

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, weis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Dirk A. Mueller wrote:
>
> > Stefan Taferner <taferner@salzburg.co.at> wrote:
> >
> > > Compiling Kde already takes a long time on my machine.
> >
> > Well, "compilation time" can NEVER be an issue for a desktop system.
> > The important thing is how fast and reliable it works, und not how long
> > does it take to compile.
>
> Totally wrong. If things take ages to compile nobody will want to
> develop for it. The same applies to broken or bad APIs like
> the old OpenParts. And if nobody is interested in development
> then it does not matter how stable it would run:
> It will never be written :-)

This is the first remark I make on this issue (and probably the only since I am
not very familiar with this stuff - yet). I absolutely agree. Compiling has
become a pain. I have more or less stopped compiling anything
but kdelib + kdebase regularily simply because it takes too long time (my time
is limited and I have other KDE stuff to work on). My experience is that I am
not that special ;) so I believe this is the case for more people than me.

The only result from this situation is that progress is slower than it could be.
There are fewer people that have the code installed, and fewer people to fix and
improve code. Clearly not a good situation.

--
Espen Sand