List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: More thoughts about embedding
From:       Kurt Granroth <kurt_granroth () email ! mot ! com>
Date:       1999-09-30 16:22:27

weis wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> > >  3) It requires developers to learn a "new GUI" system. This is bad IMHO,
> > >     as there should IMHO be *one* interface for creating a GUI.
> >
> > I admit (after re-reading my mail :) that this is a weak argument..
> > Make sure to ignore it ;)
>
> It is not weak. This is OpenSource. We can not force people to learn
> a thousand things and hack with crappy APIs. If the stuff is
> difficult/ugly nobody will waste his spare time on it.
>
> Lets face it: Who does really know how to use OpenParts, KOM and
> all the CORBA stuff ? It is there for some time now but there
> are few people who crae about nad know about it. This has reasons ....

YES!  You can probably count all of the KOM/OP users using just your
fingers.  I say there are several reasons for this:

1) Using KOM/OP with CORBA means reeeaaaallly slow compiles.  Many
   people don't have powerful enough machines to effectively do this
2) CORBA has a *huge* learning curve and most OpenSource developers
   just don't have the time to learn that in addition to all of their
   other stuff
3) Debugging CORBA is very hard to do unless you are an expert.

Going to a simpler, more stable, and faster method will definitely
help get a LOT more people to use components!
--
Kurt Granroth            | granroth@kde.org
KDE Developer/Evangelist | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth