List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Transparency -- take 2
From:       Geert Jansen <g.t.jansen () stud ! tue ! nl>
Date:       1999-09-30 12:46:45

Mosfet wrote:

> It [kdesktop] must be restarted if we are using it as a shared pixmap
> server IMHO. It is *not* acceptable to have applications in which others
> are dependent on crash with no backup IMHO.

Well, said apps don't depend on kdesktop. The pixmaps don't get
get updated if kdesktop isn't running, but they are still there and can
still be used without a problem.

Maybe there is a way to continuously check if important kde processes are
still running. The access of a Pixmap is IMO not such a place. This
would make a simple X request a big IPC problem. And, more important,
the X client accessing the shared pixmap can just as well run on
a remote machine or under some funky uid, so it cannot restart kdesktop
anyway. (Well, you maybe you could start it with kfm, but is that
running...)

KPanel isn't checking if kwm runs every time it uses it. KWM is assumed to
be running. If it doesn't run, nothing will work anyway. The same with
kdesktop.

What is important is that the shared pixmaps are in the server. They might
not be up to date in case of a kdesktop crash, but they _are_ there and apps
_won't_ crash, they just get old stuff.

I'll start working on it. I can send you some alpha code soon if you're
interested so we can go over things together?

Greetings,
--
    Geert Jansen                       email: <g.t.jansen at stud.tue.nl>
    Phylosopher, Physicist                        PGP key ID: 0xD2B5E7CE