On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, David Faure wrote: >> On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, David Faure wrote: >> >I think we are mixing issues. >> > >> >(The first part replies especially to Reggie's "embedding >> doesn't work in >> >koffice anyway") >> > >> >Sure, embedding doesn't work well in koffice currently, >> >but konqueror is the living proof that embedding can work >> really fine. >> >And you'll notice that it works very well with 'local views' >> >(icon, html, text, ...) and somewhat well with remote views, >> >(kview, ...) but not as well. Why ? Because servers are bad, >> > I already said that. >> >> My biggest concern here is not only stableness, but also >> speed. In konqy you will not have more than a view embedded >> parts, but in a koffice doc I can imagine 50 embedded parts. > >Yes and no. >konqueror, even at startup, already uses embedding. It uses it >for ANY view you can see in it. In koffice, the native view isn't embedded. >Sure, in a document you can go up to 50 embedded parts if you >want, but AFAIK, even under Windows nobody does it. But >let's not argue on numbers it's pointless. >My main point (and yours, remember) _is_ about stableness. >About slowness, that's where we need to keep working on, and >I'm pretty sure cuteidl + tinymico + shared libs instead of remote processes >can make a huge difference. > >The design of openparts does NOT make embedding broken, otherwise it >wouldn't work in konqueror. But there's something broken in the way koffice >does embedding, and we need to fix it. But then we (not me, I'm not a CORBA guru :-) should start fixing in the KOffice. It's there borken now for more than a year (this means since we switched from shared libs to CORBA). -- Reggie