List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: More thoughts about embedding
From:       Simon Hausmann <shaus () uermel ! Med ! Uni-Magdeburg ! DE>
Date:       1999-09-30 8:40:50

I think there are several problems when attempting to use an IDL
interface to create/connect to a GUI:

 1) Using IDL will *always* end up in a restricted solution, meaning
    developers will not be able to create/modify certain GUI elements,
    because they're either not defined in the IDL, yet, or they are too
    difficult to describe them in IDL (too much bloat)

    In the end this means that applications using this technology will not
    be able to use the latest features of Qt/kdeui and therefore
    possibly have a less-functional GUI than applications not using this
    technology.

 2) Using IDL will *always* create a certain kind of bloat. Take the
    OpenParts pixmap conversion for example...

 3) It requires developers to learn a "new GUI" system. This is bad IMHO,
    as there should IMHO be *one* interface for creating a GUI.

Another point:
If you want to use XML to describe a GUI, then you *need* direct access to
the embedded component, like for accessing QAction objects for example.
You cannot use CORBA here.

That's my humble (and recently changed :) opinion.

Ciao,
 Simon