List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Transparency -- take 2
From:       Geert Jansen <g.t.jansen () stud ! tue ! nl>
Date:       1999-09-29 21:58:58

Steffen Hansen wrote:

> Kdesktop could do like kded:
>
> At startup register an X property on the root window.
> It exit remove it.
>
> At startup, check if the property already exists. If it does, try to
> invoke method on kdesktop's CORBA interface. If this succeeds, kdesktop is
> already running, and there is no need for a second kdesktop -- exit.
>
> If the method invokation fails, there has been a kdesktop crash -- do some
> cleanup and start normally. If the property isn't found at all, everything
> is normal.

Concerning the desktop background, I don't think we need to restart
kdesktop if it has crashed (I don't know about kdesktop's other uses).
If it crashes, it is a critical bug and should not be masked by restarting
it.
Would it be better to use RetainPermanent instead of RetainTemporary?
These resources cannot be deleted unless the server resets. And the
server resets when the users logs out, is that correct?

Greetings,
--
    Geert Jansen                       email: <g.t.jansen at stud.tue.nl>
    Phylosopher, Physicist                        PGP key ID: 0xD2B5E7CE