List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RE: Transparency -- take 2
From:       Simon Hausmann <shaus () uermel ! Med ! Uni-Magdeburg ! DE>
Date:       1999-09-29 13:36:49

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Simon Hausmann wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, David Faure wrote:
>
> > > I like this too and considered it (sharing the Pixmap handles across
> > > applications). The problem: When KDesktop crashes all
> > > psudeo-transparent apps
> > > will crash. You will need to check before each access and do
> > > something else if the "server" is gone.
> > Hehe, it seems very related to the CORBA thread finally, even if it's
> > not CORBA :)))
> >
> > This is always the same problem : one program relying on another one
> > has problems if that other one crashes. Even in kde-1.x we had that
> > for kfm and all the apps trying to talk to it.
>
> See?

Ooops, I didn't intend to send this, I just hit CTRL-X accidentially ;-(

However: What I wanted to say is: This is a good point for a unshared
embedding approach.

We can make use of the unshared activation mode of the mediators if we
stay with the current per-process-component solution, but IMHO the shlib
one is faster/better :-)

Bye,
 Simon (..confused about this damned sun keyboard and why I hit CTRL-X
        accidentially while not having finished the mail ...:)