List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: A new framework for embedding ... without CORBA
From:       Reginald Stadlbauer <reggie () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-09-29 9:41:41

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Matthias Elter wrote:
>On Mit, 29 Sep 1999, Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:

>> >Embedding works for me and is quite useable. And as I mentioned earlier there
>> >are ways for performance improvements other than dropping the IDL interface.
>>
>> Come on! Embedding crashes a lot! And if it doesn't crash, embed 20 parts in
>> KPresenter, save it and load it. If it doesn't crash during that, you will
>> notice how slow it is.
>
>Yes embedding 20 parts is slow...but dropping the IDL interface is not the only
>way to improve performance. And yes it crashes a lot but...it's alpha and

But it's the same now for a year or so!

>what makes you think that a shared libs solution is naturally more stable?

I just remember back when we started KOffice with a shared lib solution
embedding was really stable and damn fast. Then the CORBA stuff started and it
got slow, bloated and unstable. And Torben's new stuff is again very fast and
crashed not a single time when I played with it yesterday.

--
Reggie