List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: A new framework for embedding ... without CORBA
From:       Reginald Stadlbauer <reggie () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-09-29 8:22:26

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Simon Hausmann wrote:
>On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Waldo Bastian wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, David Faure wrote:
>> >
>> > Our master Torben has once more improved KDE's framework by ....
>> > rewriting what used to be openparts, without using CORBA anymore,
>> > just plain shared libraries. The benefits are huge, as you all guess,
>> > and this is something we should consider very seriously.
>> > Please note that this DOESN'T mean removing CORBA all together.
>> > We still need it for all the other cases where we use it right now :
>> > talking to a running application (kfmclient<->konqueror/kdesktop, kmail, ...)
>> > and scripting an application (which is the same kind of thing in fact).
>>
>> So instead of moving to an open standard for desktop components we move
>> closer to a Qt/TrollTech-only solution?
>
>Well, let's fact it: If you want to use OpenParts without libqt, then you
>have to re-implement everything, so we depend on Qt anyway, and I
>personally see absolutely no problem here (just in contrary, I
>(personally) am very happy with that)
>
>I think Torben's point in providing a new framework for *embedding*
>is that using CORBA here is absolutely not necessary, just adds bloat,
>kills performance and relibability.
>
>Two arguments:
>
> 1) currently KOffice documents/views are shared instances. This means if
>    you embed KSpread in KPresenter and in KWord, KSpread gets launched
>    only once. While this is in general a good thing, it arises the
>    problem that if that one KSpread instance crashes, it takes
>    KPresenter and KWord in its grave.
>
> 2) Question: Will anyone *ever* embed a KOffice View over a network, when
>    even the local (read: on the same machine) embedding is too slow to be
>    usable?
>    IMHO it is absolutely sufficient to restrict the graphical embedding
>    of components to be available locally only, while gaining performance
>   (make sure to actually *try* Canossa, you will be impressed by the
>    performance of embedded components)
>

>So this is no removal of an open desktop component standard IMHO, the idea
>of components remains! It's just a matter of using fast and efficient C++
>interfaces and shared libraries instead of CORBA.
>
>(thus I fully support Torben's proposal)

Me, too!!!!!!!!! I compiled and played with canossa yesterday and I must say
I'm impressed by the speed and so on. I mean the curren OpenPart Embedding is
not useable (too slow, unstable), but this new stuff from Torben is defenitly
useable and fast (and everyhing compiles so much faster :-))

--
Reggie