List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    kdesu in KRASH
From:       Geert Jansen <g.t.jansen () stud ! tue ! nl>
Date:       1999-09-22 18:00:22

Hiya,

I'd like to advocate for inclusion of kdesu in the KRASH release.

KDE su features:

    * graphical password dialog
    * automatic X authentication
    * (rather) secure password keeping

It is currently tested on:

    * Linux (w & w/o glibc 2.1, PAM, unix98 pty's)
    * Solaris 7 (intel)

Different scenarios are possible:

1) All the way.
KDE su gets included in kdebase and all things requiring root priviliges
(kdm setup, kfm su, kvt su, ...) are called through kdesu.

2) Not all the way.
KDE su in kdeuitls. It installs a new kfm su and kvt su .desktop entry.

IMHO 1) would be the best because we're making a graphical desktop here
and KDE su fits into this phylosophy.

KDE su can be found in kdenonbeta. If the password keeping feature worries
people, we could disable it by default.

Please comment!

Greetings,
--
    Geert Jansen                       email: <g.t.jansen at stud.tue.nl>
    Phylosopher, Physicist                        PGP key ID: 0xD2B5E7CE