On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Dirk A. Mueller wrote: >Simon Hausmann wrote: > >> speed. CORBA based plugins, with the plugins "sitting" in separated >> process, would just result in a performance problem. (...) >> Components are small encapsulated pieces of software, and separating >> them in shlibs represents the idea of a component based environment. > >does that mean that a program using a component will use the CORBA >stuff to find out which thing to load and then dlopen() it and >communicates with it directly, bypassing the overhead caused by CORBA? > >That would be > >GRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTT!!! > > >But this leads to more problems: > >- re-entrant safety ? >- how do the components communicate which each other when they live in >different processes? And portability? Do all our target platforms have dlopen? Does it mean that every kde-app should split in two: executable (just loader) and shlib (the true code)? I don't like it somehow. Doesn't ELF mean Execute and Link Format? Can't we on demand link against an executable? Example: konqy wants to show an image, dlopens kview and uses kview's view only - or even some tool/menu items? How is that supported on various platforms? -- Sven Radej radej@kde.org KDE developer Visit http://www.kde.org