List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: the MICO/CORBA issue.
From:       Simon Hausmann <shaus () uermel ! Med ! Uni-Magdeburg ! DE>
Date:       1999-09-15 6:19:00

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Steffen Hansen wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Simon Hausmann wrote:
>
> > Now recently I told Matthias about the fact that MICO's BOA is able to load
> > CORBA objects from shared libs.
>
> The shlib code could maybe be lifted from BOA and used in the POA also.

Actually I thought of loading the shlibs ourselves, because of the IMR
issue. (no need for the IMR anymore)

> > What remains is the question of network interoperability. The average user
> > probably won't deal much with this, but killing this feature is surely the wrong
> > thing. So the solution is quite simple:
> > Provide a kind of component server (kded?), loading the components dynamically
> > on request and forking into a separate process then (to avoid one crashing
> > component to crash the whole component server) , serving them via IIOP.
>
> The normal way seems to be to load the object into the address space of
> the requesting process, and not into kded. Why change that?

Hum, I guess my explanation was too bad..
Another try:

Normally the objects get loaded into the address space of the requesting
process. The interface to this is the shlib loading code. However we might
provide a "second service" inside kded for applications which want (have
to, because of the network between it) talk to the objects via IIOP.
This service does nothing else that loading the objects via the already
existing interface and then returning the IOR via kded's CORBA interface
(so that kded's ORB does the actual serving)

> (ok, i see the problem with a remote kded and a component that is not
> available locally)
>
> > Together with tinyMico this could be a real alternative to the current
> > situation.
>
> And last but not least a gcc-3.0/libstdc++ that is less stupid
> about templates.

How long will it take until gcc-3.0 is released? (*looking forward* :-)

> > I like it, and I'd be willing to spend my free time helping with the "big
> > conversion" and helping rewriting kded, if we decide going for it.
>
> If i find the time i'll help. But i just started on my new job, and i'm
> busy like hell (today i got home from work at 22:30). We have a deadline
> very soon, and hope it quiets down after that.

Ok :-)

What do you think of the next weekend? If everybody helps (and we decide
going for it) I guess we could manage to switch fast.

> BTW: Did my questions about kcmkded and .desktop files reach the list? I
> didn't get a single answer.

I actually answered, but (as I was told yesterday on IRC) max eat my
replies as still my old email address (tronical@gmx.net) was on the accept
list, not my current. I will resend them now.

Bye,
 Simon