List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Hollydays / smb / misc. ideas
From:       Nicolas Brodu <brodu () iie ! cnam ! fr>
Date:       1999-09-03 9:20:57

Hello,

I couln't be very active during my summer internship (though my fingers
still ache for lack of coding :-)) and kde2 isn't out yet, so this doesn't
really matter. Anyway, if you have any problem concerning smb during september,
please contact libsmb@umy.elsa.iie.cnam.fr (mailing list) as I will lack an
Internet connection. There are many bugfixes/features for libsmb there
(including one for big-endian machines) not in KDE yet.

Here are some unsorted ideas I wanted to develop, but couln't. Maybe someone
more lucky will get something out of them...

- A 'ressource pool' containing templates, bookmarks, clipboard,
history, and maybe more (macro?, top five frequently opened documents?...)
easily accessible (key combo, RMB or whatever) and maybe with a drag&drop zone
for the user to add what he/she thinks is missing there. If would find it very
interesting to access all the above with the same 2-keys-one-click whatever I'm
doing at the moment, but maybe that's just me. (granted, all those ressources
can be accessed individually quite easily, the idea is to have them all in the
same place).

- A batch manager. Gathering information concerting cron, at, and other KDE
specifics (does KOrganizer have one?). Maybe a helper/wrapper/launcher program
could be used in cron to start kde applications or services, with possibility
for running them in 'batch mode' i.e. in background without user interaction.
(I'm thinking for example of making a backup using the powerful IOslaves, or
as an other example connecting to the Internet, getting the news, opening a
application to read them and start x11amp at 8:00am :-))

- Generic input interface. I created a JoystickReader class that I use in
kwintv. With its very long wire, it's amazing how a joypad makes a good remote
control! Maybe something could be done to consider joystick and infrared
events together with keyboard and mouse. Useless? Well, maybe.  It swould be
great to launch preselected applications with IrD or Joypad, and control them
remotely (TV, cd-player...) but this imply that the button mapping can be
changed by an application, and yet we would need to have some way to restore
them to default of launching preselected apps (or whatever) when the
application ends.

Happy KDE-ing to all!

Bye,

Nicolas

-- Life is a sexually transmitted fatal disease (W. Allen?) --