List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: DialogCore / AboutCore classes
From:       Mirko Sucker <mirko.sucker () unibw-hamburg ! de>
Date:       1999-09-01 21:26:38

Espen Sand wrote:

Continuing my message (hit the send button unintentionally...)

One idea concerning your three default dialog layouts:

It would be a good idea if you do not fix it to the DialogCore class . First, it might
be useable outside of dialogs, and partening it later would be a hard thing if some
code already relies on it. Second, it would be easier to merge it with DialogBase,
since you would only need to make it predefined main widgets for dialogs.

One thing concerning class derivation:

Although it sounds strange in Object Orientation Time, I really appreciate the
possibility to create a dialog without being forced to derive a class, especially when
creating something that will definitly not be reused. It is comprehensable (at least if
the heart of the dialog already exists), it saves a lot of binary size and it is handy
for programmers. Just try once to create a dialog displaying a QTextView help message
with proper size handling using the example in my last message (I think about adding
some example code to kdelibs/test). So, one target when merging both classes should be
to keep this possibility (I do not know if this is intended in your current
implementation, though).

Greetings,
--Mirko.
PS: Of course I would assist in the merger...

--
Denn der  Mensch  liebt und ehrt den  Menschen,  solange er ihn
nicht zu beurteilen vermag, und die Sehnsucht ist ein Erzeugnis