List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: DialogCore / AboutCore classes
From:       Mirko Sucker <mirko.sucker () unibw-hamburg ! de>
Date:       1999-08-30 19:44:15

Espen Sand wrote:

> FYI: From My Struggle towards (even) better dialogs in KDE.
>
> I have been working this weekend on a dialog base class - DialogCore
> The reason for this is to make a class that more or less forces the user to
> follow certain rules when making dialogs. My goal is to get this class into
> kdeui so that I can use it in other (than khexedit) programs I have planned to
> "clean up".

Hello Espen,
there is a class in kdeui that provides this stuff, it is DialogBase. Apart from
the three different layouts, it provides everything you are talking about.

> *DialogCore provides three layouts (defined in constructor)
> +Plain (std dialog)
> +Tabbed (a tabbed dialog)
> +TreeList (treelist+pages as config window in khexedit, korganizer). The
> treelist is based on the QSplitter + QlistView.

> *DialogCore defines an inner and outer margin. The outer is used by the
> DialogCore itself and and the user should use the "innerMagin()" only.
> (I hope DialogCore can read these margins from a central KDE object later).

Instead of this, in DialogBase the user creates a widget that is child of the
dialog:
---
DialogBase dialog;
QMultiLineEdit line(&dialog);
dialog.setMainWidget(&line);
if(!dialog.exec()) ...
---
This is everything needed to create a dialog to enter a multi line text. The user
does not have to take care about inner and outer margins (that, BTW, arew there,
too).
I would be happy if you manage to add the three different styles to DialogBase,
instead of adding another class that implements the same stuff once again.
Greetings,
--Mirko.

> ... I have begun making a general "about dialog" core class, AboutCore, that will
> be

> able to create the "About KDE dialog" as well as my current "About khexedit" and
> more. The  AboutCore is sublassed from the "DialogCore". I can
> already make the "About KDE dialog" using this class. I will try to implement
> all features from the (nice :-) "KAboutDialog" by Mirko Sucker.

But remember that KAboutDialog is not THE About Dialog for KDE, it is meant for
application about dialogs.
Greetings,
--Mirko.

--
Denn der  Mensch  liebt und ehrt den  Menschen,  solange er ihn
nicht zu beurteilen vermag, und die Sehnsucht ist ein Erzeugnis