List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KTabListBox
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () caldera ! de>
Date:       1999-08-30 16:53:05

Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:

> >That means you need to create all the possible views - long, short, mix dirs
> >etc. just to display anything at all. Seems a bit daft to me, or am I
> >misunderstanding?
>
> I must admit, that I don't know the design of the KFileDialog. But it sounded
> for me like Coolo's problem is to access other equivalent items using the index
> of one item, and this can be solved by the pointer stuff.
>
> But until now I didn't really understand Coolo's problem, maybe you (Coolo)
> could say a bit more exactly what the real problem is (besides "I don't want
> QListView to sort my items" :-)

The items are stored in KDir and the views only get the items in the
presorted
order as the sorting should be independent of the views (as I said
before), because
I don't want to duplicate the code.
The problem is that KFileDialog will lookup completions and other
details directly
in it's own (sorted) list of items and only pass the index to the view
for
highlightning. This index I need to map to QListView's interpretion of
things.
It doesn't matter how the listview _displays_ things, but I need to map
the
index to an item. That's the reason why I prefer Roberto's solution as
I'm not
going to rewrite parts of the framework, just because QListView is
different
than anything else.

Greetings, Stephan

--
Programmers, heed this: If someone starts asking you about
agricultural genomes, it's likely time to get a handler.