List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KFileDialog (was Re: KTabListBox)
From:       Richard Moore <rich () ipso-facto ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-08-30 13:09:36

Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> >Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:
> >>
> >> On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> >> Coolo, if you are cleaning the KFileDialog, please get rid of your multicolumn
> >> listbox widget (this view which is used if you don't have the tablistbox, but a
> >> list with mutiple columns).
> >>
> >> The QListBox in 2.0 supports the same features (multiple columns and much more
> >> :-) and is much faster and doesn't flicker (which is the case with the widget in
> >> the filedialog). And you will never be able to make this widget really smooth,
> >> as it is derived from a QTableView which is one of the worst classes in Qt and
> >> should really not be used (QScrollView is much better!).
> >> Also I think keyboard focus handling is not done correctly in the widget in the
> >> filedilog (it's wrong in the KTabListBox too, btw), in the QListBox it works of
> >> course.
> >>
> >> So, either use just a QListBox there, or derive from QListBox, if you need to
> >> implement some stuff which is not in QListBox. But please don't use the
> >> QTableView derived class anymore :-))
> >>
> >> Also, you did quite some hacks using the QListBox on the left side of the
> >> filedialog, which don't work with 2.0. So, e.g. when pressing the mouse button
> >> and move the mouse keeping it pressed, you can't select items in the
> >> filedialog. This is the result of a hack in the filedialog.
> >>
> >> I once looked at the code, and you really don't need this hacks, it's possible
> >> to do all that in a clean way too.
> >>
> >> And I don't like the API and way of the preview mode in the kfiledialog, I like
> >> the one which I implemented in the QFileDialog for Qt 2.1 more, but that's
> >> mybe a matter of personal taste and it's enough for now and a discussion
> >> about that can be done later ;-))
> >
> >Hmm, when I remember the last words said about this topic were
> >"Reggie wrote: If noone else wants to, I will do it." - I haven't
> >vetoed...
>
> I know, but I'm a bit short of time currently :-(( So I hope there will be
> someone else who can do it....

I have started looking at this, but don't hold your breath - I'm very busy
right now too. I think the current preview API is a bit of a dogs breakfast.
I was hoping to have dynamic loading preview modules using the libtool dlopen.

Rich.

--
     Richard Moore		rich@ipso-facto.freeserve.co.uk
http://www.robocast.com/	richard@robocast.com